Sunday, November 16, 2008

Oscar predictions pre-Thanksgiving

Wow...isn't that a pretty man!
And isn't that a big damn picture!  Why don't I know how to size photos? 

Okay, we're talking Oscar predictions.  

Usually, by now, I have seen almost everything, and am pretty damn sure who and what are getting nominated. 

But, I haven't received a single screener, and I have missed every single screening I had planned to attend. Just busy? Just apathetic? I think the election so wore me out, that I just couldn't muster the energy.  No time for Oscar! What?! Who am I? I haven't seen ANYTHING!

Anyhoo....I am still hoping to get caught up with my viewing in time for a re-vamp come December, but for the time being...here is what I've picked for the top 6 categories.


BEST PICTURE
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button
Milk
The Reader
Revolutionary Road
Slumdog Millionaire
reserve
Australia

BEST DIRECTOR
David Fincher - Benjamin Button
Danny Boyle - Slumdog Millionaire
Stephen Daldry - The Reader
Sam Mendes - Revolutionary Road
Darren Aronofsky - The Wrestler
or Jonathan Demme - Rachel Getting Married

BEST ACTOR
Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler
Sean Penn - Milk
Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon
Richard Jenkins - The Visitor
Leonardo Di Caprio - Revolutionary Road
falling away
Josh Brolin - W
Brad Pitt - Benjamin Button

BEST ACTRESS
Kate Winslet - Revolutionary Road
Kristen Scott Thomas - I've Loved You So Long
Sally Hawkins - Happy Go Lucky
Ann Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married
Meryl Streep - Doubt
falling out
Angelina Jolie - Changeling

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Jamie Bell - Defiance
James Franco - Milk
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Doubt
Michael Shannon - Revolutionary Road
Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight
falling away
Dev Patel - Slumdog Millionaire
Liev Schreiber - Defiance
falling out
Robert Downey Jr. - The Soloist..not releasing until 2009

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Viola Davis - Doubt
Taraji P. Henson - Benjamin Button
Marisa Tomei or Evan Rachel Wood ( depending on who gets the best campaign) - The Wrestler
Rosemary Dewitt - Rachel Getting Married
Penelope Cruz - Vickey Christina Barcelona
falling away
Misty Upham - Frozen River
Samantha Morton - Synecdoche, New York

I'm sticking to these...for now. I'd love to hear from any of ya'll who have seen some of these films. What did you love? Who floated your boat like no other? What prospect makes you shiver with antici....pation?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kinda makes you wonder how many Academy members have already decided who to vote for before seeing the films, based only on industry buzz and personal preferences.

Sally Belle said...

Well...yes...there is always a certain amount of attention around a limited number of films...but, that list comes from many months of "oscar watching" including film festival screenings, press screenings and general buzz regarding script, cast and director.

So, it is not like the press choosing for the Academy in advance. My picks are based on everything I've read in the last 4 or 5 months.

Once I see the films, I think I'll be able to judge pretty well which ones will fall out, and which won't.

In 2007, I saw everything...I got the screeners for every movie! SAG nominating committee that year. Ultimately, I only missed three categories in my final predictions. That was predicting every single category. I think I missed Best Documentary, and animated short, like that.

If you watch everything, it becomes clear as crystal.