Saturday, December 13, 2008

Movie Mother of the Month



















Frances McDormand as Elaine Miller in Almost Famous. A no-nonsense mother bear, who would stare down a locomotive for her children...much to their chagrin, I might add. There is no hint of uncertainty in the way she, a single mother, guides her children. A strict, yet progressive, scarily intelligent, take no prisoners, college professor. A mother who drives her 15 year old son to his date with destiny, and, instead of goodbye, merely says..."Don't do drugs."
Good sound practical advice...no explanation needed.

Elaine is talking to her son William on a pay phone backstage before a rock concert, when the lead guitarist of the band cockily takes the phone from him. Probably thinking he would freak William's mother out a bit, he says hello and introduces himself. The following is the dialogue from that scene.

William: [on the phone with his mother] I'm fine! I'm fine! I'm flying back on Monday Morning. I'll only miss one test. I'll make it up.
[Russell listens in, laughing.]
Russell: Tell her you're a slave to the groove - you can't help it!
William: [covers phone] No.
[Russell grabs the phone]
Russell: Hi Mom! It's Russell Hammond, I play guitar in Stillwater! It's my fault. How does it feel to be the mother of the future of rock journalism? [pause] Hello?
[Silence.)
Russell: You've got a great kid -- nothing to worry about! We're taking care of him! And you should come to a show sometime! Join the Circus!
Elaine: Listen to me. Your charm does not work on me. I'm onto you. Of course you like him.
Russell: [getting serious] Well, yeah.
Elaine: He worships you people and that's fine with you, as long as he helps make you rich.
Russell: [a nerve is struck] Rich? I don't think so -
Elaine: Listen to me. He's a smart, good-hearted, 15 year-old kid, with infinite potential.
 This is not some apron-wearing mother you're talking to. I know about your Valhalla of Decadence, and I shouldn't have let him go. He is not ready for your world of compromised values, and diminished brain cells that you throw away like confetti. Am I speaking clearly to you?
Russell: Yes, ma'am.
Elaine: If you break his spirit, harm him in any way, keep him from his chosen profession -- which is law, something you may not value but I do -- you will meet the voice on the other end of this telephone. And it will not be pretty. Do we understand each other?
Russell: Uh, yes ma'am.
Elaine: I didn't ask for this role, but I'll play it. Now go do your best. "Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." Goethe said that. It's not too late for you to be a person of substance, Russell. Get my son home safely. You know, I'm glad we spoke. [Russell is in shock]

This is great writing...but, when you can get Frances McDormand to speak it, well, I imagine that is just like writer heaven.  
Almost Famous.... always worth another look.

No comments: