Monday, December 29, 2008

Five days later...




..and we're still talking about Randy The Ram.

I hope that the Academy will nominate The Wrestler for Best Picture. Nothing else I have seen this year has stuck with me in the same way. Ditto every person I have talked to about this film. I think that it could have enough number ones on the preferential balloting to make a nom. What else are people going to be so in love with to place at Number 1. Slumdog Millionaire....shoe in. Benjamin Button...probably. Frost/Nixon...possibly. The Dark Knight...I hope not.

The way the Academy nominates is by the numbers...literally. Voters pick one choice of "Best" and four back-up votes. So, they have five potential nominees placed much like a beauty pageant. Choice for winner...first runner up, second runner up and etc. One, two, three and etc. So, They count all the number ones first. You have to have at least one number one ordinal to even be nominated. If they get five films with number ones, they don't even count the number twos. If they get less or more, then they add in the number twos.  If they still don't have five clear nominees, then on to the number threes.  So confusing!  But, it is what makes things a little unpredictable!

So....my point is...how many films are going to inspire enough passion to be placed at number one above all others? Because you have to use your number one vote wisely.

Ballots are in the hands of voters even as we speak. If Little Miss Sunshine and Juno were Best Picture nominees...well, The Wrestler shouldn't be allowed to miss. 

If you were picking a number one.  Only one film for Best Picture...what would you choose?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes. I too am still "with" The Wrestler. In fact, just this morning I was thinking about the 3 scenes with his daughter. At first, I thought, "I wish we'd seen more." They felt choppy - like, uh-uh-uh. But then I realized that we were seeing his last couple of moves in this arena. We followed behind as Randy the Ram took on whatever life threw his way, in and out of the ring. Wrestle with this. Okay, WhatdoIgottado? At least in the ring, people noticed.