Saturday, February 21, 2009

Final Oscar Predictions























It's a funny thing...I know Slumdog Millionaire is going to win between 6 and 9 Oscars.  And I feel like I've pretty much seen the same people walking up to the podium at every awards show I've watched. Very slight variance. But, for some odd reason, I feel very unsettled about making predictions. I just have no "gut feel" this year.

I usually do quite well. Especially when I've seen all the films. I've won prizes and had my name in the Chicago Sun Times for outguessing Ebert for God's sake! I picked Crash, Alan Arkin and Adrian Brody for crying out loud!  

On one hand...it all feels so predictable...Penn, Winslet, Cruz, Ledger, Slumdog, Slumdog, Slumdog.  But, on the other hand...it feels like it could all go to hell in a handcart.  Well, except for the Slumdog, Slumdog, Slumdog...that, my friends is happening.

But, it's getting late on Saturday afternoon and the Independent Spirit awards are just starting and I have to take a shower eventually....so....here's my best shot.  *updated at 12:00 pm pst...freaked out, and changed a few

BEST PICTURE
Slumdog Millionaire

BEST DIRECTOR
Danny Boyle

BEST ACTOR
Mickey Rourke
alt. Sean Penn

BEST ACTRESS
Kate Winslet
spoiler Melissa Leo

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Heath Ledger
spoiler Robert Downey Jr.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Penelope Cruz
spoiler Amy Adams

Film Editing
Slumdog Millionaire

Cinematography
Slumdog Millionaire

Art Direction
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

Original Screenplay
Dustin Lance Black - Milk

Adapted Screenplay
Simon Beaufoy - Slumdog Millionaire

Costume Design
The Duchess

Score
Slumdog Millionaire

Song
Jai Ho - Slumdog Millionaire

Sound Mixing
Slumdog Millionaire

Sound Editing
The Dark Knight
alt. Wanted

Animated Film
Wall E

Make Up
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

Visual Effects
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

Documentary
Man On Wire
alt. Trouble the Water

 Documentary Short
 Smile Pinki

Foreign Film
Waltz with Bashir
alt. The Class

Live Action Short
Spielzeugland (Toyland)

Animated Short
La Maison En Petits Cubes
alt. Presto!

You know...I could still change my mind.  I am really starting to feel Melissa Leo...or Amy Adams...I dunno, I still feel some weird upset is in the mix.


10 comments:

Hilarywho said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hilarywho said...

I hope it's not a complete Slumdog sweep, but you could be right.

- gosh darn, can't I edit these comments when there's a typo? Had to delete & retype.

Anonymous said...

Ms. Dunes called tonight and said you had posted your predictions that I have been awaiting with bated breath. Thanks babe! I'll let ya hear how the pool turns out. I may owe ya a cut!

Sally Belle said...

Oh Dave...maybe you should check back before you leave for your Oscar party! I am so shaky this year!
I may change everything in the morning!

xo
SB

Anonymous said...

Hehehe. Will check back before I lock in my final answers! Not a lot of bucks riding on it by any means... no pressure!

Anonymous said...

Well SB, I came so close - but no cigar. Was first runner-up. Only 2 points away from the winner (my friend who teaches film at a local college). It was the best actor category that kept me from a tie. I stuck with Mickey even though you warned of the Spirit effect. You called it! Damn girl - you're good! :-)

Sally Belle said...

How did anyone beat me? I only missed two! Damn!
I thought for sure you were gonna win! Did you check back and get the latest updates before you left for the party? That guy must be damn good!

Anonymous said...

Basically, it was the Best Actor category where I screwed up. Like I said, I stayed with Mickey, he went with Sean. That was where he got the two extra points and took the kitty. Hmmm... I had sent him the link to your blog earlier... maybe that's why he did so good. The cheeky monkey! :-) But next year we'll cream him! Thanks SB! You rock!

Sally Belle said...

Dude! You're not supposed to share the secret weapon with your competition! You could have been a contender man!

ines said...

I read your comment in Film Experience Oscar Blog about Best Actress Predictions, where you saing:" I've read The Bright Star script...it's really good, romantic and sad...I think Cornish has a good shot. I also believe Campion will come back strong with the fim" you make my day! really do!! Do you read script, OMG, this is so Briliant. I have high hopes for this Film. Do you have seen a pre-screnning for Bright star?
Abbie Cornish is a talent actress and Ben too.

God Bless you
Bye!!!

Psyco

P.S I LOVE CINEMA TOO!!!