Saturday, February 21, 2009

Oh Geez...Oscar 1989

I tried to resist doing this...but, I...just...couldn't.  Yes...it's the Snow White clip.

I was watching the Oscars, as usual, on this particular occasion.  Now, you have to remember...this is only the last six minutes of this, the opening musical number of the 1989 Academy Awards broadcast.  There was another five minutes before this clip...it is entirely too painful to watch the whole thing.
  
My friend, Eric the good, and I had just settled in with our beer and popcorn, shivering with anticipation as the houselights dimmed and we heard the first strains of the opening music.  We were both actors...theatre whores and movie star wannabes...each with our own Oscar dreams. We hushed, and sat breathless as if waiting for the rapture.



Needless to say when this thing was over....we both sat, gaping like fish, paralyzed with fear that we had experienced the first communal acid flashback.  I think one of us finally began stuttering, and managed to ask the other if they were okay.  
What were they thinking?  I mean, what the fuck were they thinking?  Lily Tomlin, God bless her, almost managed to save it.  Almost.

I am afraid of what we might see unfold tomorrow night.  It is either going to be very, very good...or it's going to be very, very, what were they thinking.  
 
But, here's some food for thought...first of all..Hugh Jackman will not suck.  He is a certified Musical theatre star.  I also suspect that the Anne Hathaway singing with him rumor may be true because...she declined to sing at the Independent Spirit Awards, and I'm thinking it's because she's coming out at the Oscars instead!  Guess what?  Anne can sing too.  So that's good news.  Because after declining to give Peter Gabriel more then 65 seconds to sing his Oscar nominated song, they better not go and fill up the time with a bunch of lame ass musical shite, you know?  And yes, that was Merv Griffin.

2 comments:

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

I actually blushed watching this.
It's so embarrassing! Hehehe (Why did the audience even applaud this?).
Thanks for sharing though, I'd love to have seen more Oscar shows than the ones I've seen.

Anonymous said...

Was that supposed to pay homage to Steve Silver's Beach Blanket Babylon? What a clusterfuck! And what a low note for producer Allan Carr to go out on...so sad. Sigh.