Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Oscar's Ass



I don't know how I got here...but, the truth is, I'm bored with this whole Awards season. Maybe it's because I didn't get to all the movies. I tried, but I failed. Revolutionary Road is still an unknown for me, as is I've Loved You so Long, and Happy-Go-Lucky. I have no idea if I would find Poppy irritating or endearing, and I don't really care either.

I have faithfully watched the Academy Awards as long as I can remember, so, I'm guessing...40 years? I remember watching Charlie Chaplin receive his honorary Oscar and crying buckets. Smile though your heart is breaking indeed. I also remember thinking I was having an acid flashback when I saw Rob Lowe and Snow White doing the Hully Gully or whatever that shiz was. I still can't believe Hilary Swank has two of these bad boys, and Mira Sorvino has one. Remember them killing the audio on Bette Davis the year she accepted for Paul Newman? He must have wanted to kick himself for not showing up that year.

This year's ceremony is shrouded in secrecy. I assume they are hoping that more people will want to tune in to see what might unfold. Personally, I am terrified that there might be High School Musical 3 actors actually invited, and I'm pretty sure that Miley Cyrus will perform live. Also, I don't know if I can stand another year of Jessica Alba showing up and behaving like a serious actress.

Personally, I'd like to see them go the way of the Globes...everybody is drunk...or the Tony's, where you have real talent and real actors who have not inserted sticks up their butts, and are not taking themselves too seriously. Spontaneity, I guess, is what I'm longing for.

However, I have no doubt, that come February 22, I'll be tuned in with my bowl of popcorn ready and willing. Who'd have thought I'd actually miss Joan Rivers?

So, once more into the breach I go. My Final Oscar nomination predictions are here. For what it's worth. I guess there is a mixture of who I think will be nominated and who I want. I can't bring myself to nominate The Dark Knight for Best Picture, for example, even though it is on everyone's Top 10. I still don't get it. It's a Batman movie.  I put a reserve in each category.  The or could and can replace any of the five!

Best Picture
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button
Frost/Nixon
Milk
Slumdog Millionaire
The Reader
or
The Wrestler

Best Director
Danny Boyle
David Fincher
Ron Howard
Chris Nolan
Gus Van Sant
or
Stephen Daldry

Best Actress
Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married
Sally Hawkins -Happy-Go-Lucky
Meryl Streep - Doubt
Kate Winslet - Revolutionary Road
Michelle Williams - Wendy And Lucy
or
Melissa Leo - Frozen River

Best Actor
Clint Eastwood - Gran Torino
Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon (although I prefer Michael Sheen for lead)
Brad Pitt - The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button
Sean Penn - Milk
Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler
or
Richard Jenkins - The Visitor

Best Supporting Actress
Penelope Cruz - Vicky Christina Barcelona
Viola Davis - Doubt
Taraji P. Henson - The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button
Marisa Tomei - The Wrestler
Kate Winslet - The Reader
or Amy Adams - Doubt

Best Supporting Actor
Josh Brolin - Milk
Robert Downey Jr. - Tropic Thunder
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Doubt
Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight
Dev Patel - Slumdog Millionaire
or Michael Shannon - Revolutionary Road

Screenplay Adapted
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button 
Doubt
Frost/Nixon
Slumdog Millionaire
The Reader

Screenplay Original
Happy-Go-Lucky
Milk
Rachel Getting Married
The Wrestler
Vicky Christina Barcelona

Animated Film
Wall-E
Kung Fu Panda
Waltz With bashir
or
The Tale of Despereaux

Remaining categories TBA later 

1 comment:

Hilarywho said...

Just discovered your blog & love it. I too have a love/hate relationship with the Oscars. I've heard it's going to be different this year and I'm wondering if that will be good or bad. In any case I'll be there watching, and probably cursing and grimacing from time to time.