Monday, January 12, 2009

Stirred...not shaken

















The Hollywood Foreign Press stirred the pot a bit last night, and while some of the categories are becoming quite predictable...they proved that not all is set in stone!

Of course, there is no way Kate, the-no-matter-how-great, is getting two Oscars. Right? No way. Except, that when you look closely at the Best Actress race...it has somehow gotten rather boring! Even Meryl is starting to look average...or, at least average Streep! And although I'm wondering what kind of evil spells Angelina is already casting against Winslet for calling Angie "the other one",  I am beginning to wonder if she could actually pull two rabbits out of her hat.  




Happy for Sally Hawkins. We all need a little Poppy now and then.  But, has she always been so painfully thin? I hope that the real Hollywood is not taking it's toll on her. She is a lovely actress, and probably needs to get back home and stay there for a bit.




Mickey Rourke's win was a real treat. I do believe that under all that macho posturing, and blunt speech...there is a fiercely loyal, emotionally insecure, unbreakably fragile, stale cream puff of a person, who, like everyone else and the color purple, just wants to be loved. And he gave an amazing performance that I believe will become iconic.  I am so happy he didn't fall up the stairs...and that he wasn't sure about Peter Rice's name!  Um, good point, since Rice has given all of his energy to Slumdog Millionaire, leaving The Wrestler as a spare, or a back up plan.  I dunno...I liked The Wrestler better.


And then there is this guy. So happy that he is finished with his Miami Vice crap, and I hope to see him putting himself in better movies from now on. I'd say his stock went up about 100%. Did in my book anyway, and I have no doubt he just moved back to the A-list.




It was a bit odd to see Meryl Streep a two time loser...she's becoming the Michelle Kwan of the acting world.  The most respected and influential actress working today....and yet...Hillary Swank has more Best Actress wins then she.  WTF.  I mean really.  
But, I must add, since I dished Meryl as a worst dressed prediction...she looked...marvelous!  


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you concerning Mr. Farrell.In Bruges is a little gem of a film. Colin Farrell plays his role with honesty and it's funny. What more could you ask for these days?