Wednesday, January 7, 2009

More Love Please!


There are two movies in the running for Best Picture that are not getting enough of a push. Rachel Getting Married and The Wrestler. Two movies that couldn't be more different and more alike at the same time. Out of all the films I've seen in the last three months...these are the only two that I am ready and willing to see again.

I don't really get why they aren't both locks for a nomination. Yet, neither one is going to the Golden Globes...and even more unbelievably, neither one is going to the SAG Awards.  No acting ensemble nomination for Rachel Getting Married.  If you haven't seen it...trust...the ensemble is top rate.  The Wrestler also boasts a terrific cast, but perhaps with it, SAG was unsure how they would seat all the Deli customers. Or maybe they were just afraid of the Necro Butcher starting some shit at the Dorothy Chandler.  

I saw this interview with Mickey Rourke this morning, and it made me want to watch The Wrestler again immediately.  Fox Searchlight better get on it.  They could still get this man an Oscar if they work at it a little.  I don't know whether he's an ass or not.  I don't care. They gave Jamie Foxx an Oscar.  So, asses are eligible.  I do know that Rourke is an actor.  He's not Randy.  I hope everyone will remember that.  He gave a magnificient performance, and created an iconic character out of thin air. 

Watch interview here....


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree! I''d forgotten what a great actor this guy was and obviously still is. I look forward to seeing Mickey in something where he doesn't play a broken down fighter or a thug.