Friday, December 5, 2008

NBR make my day!


























So, the National Board of Review announced their year end "Best of" picks yesterday. This is considered the first precursor to Oscar, but, really...I've met a lot of these people...and I don't get it. This group is a bunch of old fogies...nice ones...but, really?  Their picks kinda revolve around screenings where the actors, producers and directors have to answer questions, look attractive and kiss ass.  Also,  a Fall cocktail party where the actors, producers and directors have to attend, look attractive and kiss ass.  
They usually make some fine picks...having privately screened all of the films...met the actors and well, you know...the butt polishing.  But, they also make some odd ones that can only be based on the latter. 
 

This year...Anne Hathaway was chosen Best Actress.   Okay...no complaints.  Then they go and put Clint Eastwood as Best Actor.  Not only did Clint get chosen Best Actor over Sean Penn, Mickey Rourke, Frank Langella and Richard Jenkins...but, the two movies he directed and released this year were also chosen to be in the top ten.  Changeling, and Gran Torino.  Best of the year.  That is a lot of love for Clint.  Is he this year's John Wayne?


















The Board also chose Josh Brolin for Supporting actor...Penelope Cruz for Supporting Actress...David Fincher...Director.  Best Picture was Slumdog Millionaire.
Breakthrough awards went to Dev Patel for Slumdog, and Viola Davis for Doubt.
All of these figure in my predictions, so, I'm pretty happy with them.  Also, The Wrestler in the top 10 movies of the year.  So, all in all, the Eastwood stuff is my only head scratcher.


Anyhoo...I'll get the entire list up later....the real reason I'm here is to share the word for the day, Friday, December 5th.  Margarita.  
Personally, I've had a very hard week.  I made it through.  Tonight, I am going out with the "girls" from work, and we are going to drink Margaritas.  I may even have two.  
I advise you to do the same.  Life is good...except when it sucks.  

So, to everyone within the sound of my voice...La Chaim!


No comments: