Friday, November 21, 2008

The Wrestler weighs in



I do wish they wouldn't give so much away in trailers, I kinda feel like they showed me the whole story, except, thank God, the way it ends.

But, what a story it looks to be! This is not just the old Mickey Rourke we are feeling nostalgic for...it's ourselves. All of us older folks, I have a feeling, are going to need a wheelbarrow to get out of the theatre.

After all, we're all Mickey in some respect or another. Who here thinks they've had perfect success with their lives? Who among us doesn't feel like life has slapped them in the face at some time or another? Which one of us has no regrets?

I dunno.. it looks to me that The Wrestler has something that will connect with just about everyone. The low budget production values seem to keep it simple, honest and in your face at the same time.

I'm going to see this soon, come hell or high water. I'm going to want to continue this conversation at that time!

The Wrestler opens December 17
http://www.foxsearchlight.com/thewrestler/

1 comment:

Rook said...

The trailer only gives away the basic story, which is kind of a cliche in sports stories.
The Wrestler goes way beyond this framework plot. It ain't another "Rocky Balboa."
You are right about seeing oneself in Rourke's character, as well in the two other lead characters. It left me with a soulful aftertaste of our human condition on par with the best Greek comedy/tragedy.
A brilliant film with acting, directing, music score and cinematography all coming together to produce a hell of a body-slam.

I can't wait to see it again!