Monday, April 13, 2009

Top 5 Favorite Characters

It's interesting. I started out with almost all women. The first list I made had 9 out of 10 women! How did so many fall off? Was it a state of mind kind of thing? As in, I was feeling all uppity and powerful when I made my first pass, and now, I'm all, deer in the headlights and vunerable? I dunno. Somewhere along the line, I crossed off Ripley from Aliens, Sarah Conner from Terminator 1 and 2.  Karen Blixen from Out Of Africa, Maude from Harold and Maude (how could I do that!?) Miss Celie from The Color Purple, and Ed from Raising Arizona. Also, dropped from the list, but not female...Mookie from Do The Right Thing, and Patrick Bateman from American Psycho.  

This is just an impossible task.  But, I have to finish...so, here's the Top 5.  What do ya'll think?  Which Peter Sellers should have been on this list?  Why did I leave off Travis Bickle?  Who would be your number 1?  

5. Dr. Frank-N-Furter...a scientist.  Rocky Horror Picture Show
 "Come up to the lab."





















4. Auntie Mame...as played by Rosiland Russell in Auntie Mame.
"Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!"





















3. Jean Louise Finch aka Scout...To Kill A Mockingbird
This is tough, because really, you could chose anyone from this cast.
Atticus, Jem, Calpurnia, Tom Robinson, Mayella Ewell...and of course Boo Radley.
I chose Scout because, really, miscast that role and the whole movie falls apart.
"Hey Boo."






















2. Dorothy Gale from Kansas...The Wizard of Oz
Recast this role and it becomes camp. Who but Judy could rend our hearts into such a bittersweet, teary eyed mess at the very thought of her singing Somewhere Over The Rainbow?
"There's no place like home."


















1. The Tramp.
Much to my embarassment, I didn't even think of The Tramp on my own. ( Thank you Miss Pink! )
Really, who is more iconic then he? No one. I grew up watching old Chaplin films rented from the library and projected in 8mm. All you young 'uns have no excuse not to be watching Chaplin's brilliance on DVD. If you're not...shame on you, and get to it!  
Nothing need be said, if you just smile.



For Numbers 5 - 10 and Honorable Mentions scroll to post below!

7 comments:

Jacque said...

I agree with the Tramp as number 1. I'm 18 and I never thought I would like a Charlie Chaplin film, but I looooved City Lights! Any movie that can pull at my heartstrings AND make me laugh is a good one. I loved it so much that I decided to watch Chaplin (the 1992 movie)..and I loved that one too. Robert Downey jr is brilliant

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

I could never choose just 10, especially not pick an absolute favorite, but I'm sure Dorothy would be in mine.

Anonymous said...

Dorothy has to be on everyone's list, doesn't she?

Lenore Pink said...

okay, top female characters i would've killed to play,

besides scout, hehe

Matilda - The Professional (Natalie Portman)

Alabama Worley - True Romance (Patricia Arquette)

Mia Wallace - Pulp Fiction (Uma Thurman)

Sarah - Labyrinth (Jennifer Connelly)

Kim - Edward Scissorhands (Winona Ryder)

Iris - Taxi Driver (Jodi Foster)

Sally - Caberet (Liza Minnelli)

Buttercup - The Princess Bride (Robin Wright-Penn)

Nancy - Sid and Nancy (Chloe Webb)

Marla - Fight Club (Helena Bonham Carter)

Lydia - Beetlejuice (Damn Winona Ryder)

Clementine - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Kate Winslet)

Cat Woman - Batman Returns (Michelle Pfeiffer)

Bonnie - Bonnie and Clyde (Faye Dunaway)

Judy - Rebel Without a Cause (Natalie Wood)

Anna - The King and I (Deborah Kerr)

Cher - Clueless (Alicia Silverstone)

Lily - Legend (Mia Sara)

Satine - Moulin Rouge (Nicole Kidman)

Inga - Young Frankenstien (Terri Garr)

Penny Lane - Almost Famous (Kate Hudson)

Margo - All about Eve (Bette Davis)

Maude - Harold and Maude (Ruth Gordon)

Anne - The Miracle Worker (Anne Bancroft)

Columbia - Rocky Horror Picture Show (Little Nell)

Marion - Requiem for a Dream (Uggg, Jennifer Connelly again...)

Idgie - Fried Green Tomatoes (Mary Stuart Masterson)

Roberta - Now and Then (Christina Ricci)

Gretchen - Donnie Darko (Jena Malone)

Manndy - Velvet Goldmine (Toni Collette)

I am sure you can give me more.........

many have been omitted because, well, i just don't even have the balls to think about casting anyone else.

Rook said...

I gotta add as few more men:

Chance the Gardner - Being There
or Guy Grand - The Magic Christian (for Peter Sellers)

Fielding Melish - Take the Money and Run

HAL --2001 A Space Odyssey

Reverend Shannon - Night of the Iguana

Rookicino said...

One more:
One of the greatest female roles has to be Giulietta Masina as Cabiria in Fellini's "Nights of Cabiria".
Dialogue is Italian, but her physical acting is so great, it doesn't matter if you ignore the subtitles.
I guess that's why she is considered the female Chaplin.

Anonymous said...

thescreenzone.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.