Saturday, May 2, 2009

Run for the roses




















I am a real nut job when it comes to the Kentucky Derby.  Just FYI.  I'll be glued to the television for the next three hours.  I had Pioneerof The Nile for the last two weeks, but, if he goes off the favorite...well, that's not good is it?  I'm still gonna bet him.  Also, Friesan Fire...loves the off-track...mud as it were.  Isn't that track a bit sloppy today? My, long shot feelings are Chocolate Candy and Papa Clem.  

My daughter usually picks the winner. She has an outstanding record for being right. But, I can't get her on the phone, so, I'll bet all four and hope for the best!  Post time is at 5pm central time.  

Be back soon with Friday Night netflix...Synecdoche, New York and movie mom for April!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alas, horse racing is going the way of the small farmer, with more and more conglomerate owners vying for the big wins so they can cash in on stud fees and the like. Some people think its pushing breeders to select out for faster and faster horses, which means increased muscle mass that has to be supported by slender light (fast) legs. When you put this together with horses who are not fully developed, the result is legs that literally explode. In 2008, 9 horses suffered serious injuries on the day of the derby. We know at least one, and probably more, that were euthanized.

Having just heard all this on NPR, I decided to skip the derby this year (and I too love a good horse race.) Mine the Bird, his owner and trainer, are a real throw back to "the day". It did my heart good to hear of their win.

Sally Belle said...

Oh I know...how it saddens me.

But, Mine That Bird was a good old fashioned upset.

Lovely. Did you notice he didn't look fazed at all.