Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Best Picture


MILK

This one had me at hello. I will be crushed if this movie is not good.  Top three reasons...
1.  Gus Van Sant...I've loved you long time. 
2. Sean Penn...didn't like Mystic River, and I am anxious to see him play "against type". 
3. What the world needs now, is love, sweet love. Let's keep the anti-hate rally cry going strong. We have hope that the ultra-religulous right wing is finally going to be deposed. Is it possible that a new era of civil rights, and tolerance for ALL is on the horizon? Could it include a new women's movement too?  Pretty please?


THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON


Forrest Gump dark?  

David Fincher?  Need I say more.  

Okay, Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett. 

 Um...yes, please.  



SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE


You made waves in Telluride, and then flew off to the Toronto Film Festival, where you were chosen the Audience Favorite.  You proceeded to get purchased by Fox Searchlight, the distributors of Little Miss Sunshine and Juno. 
You were directed by Danny Boyle ( Trainspotting ) and tell the story of an 18 year old orphan from the slums of Mumbai and how he gathered the knowledge to win a million dollars on a game show.  You have no stars in your cast and no baggage, and if fucking JUNO can get nominated for a Best Picture Oscar...I'm betting you can too.



AUSTRALIA


This pick is made solely on the strength of Baz Luhrman having directed the pic.  I was one of "those" people who loved Moulin Rouge...loved it.  
But the trailer for Australia doesn't excite me.  It doesn't make me want to run out and buy a ticket, you know?  
Also, I did not like Luhrman's Romeo + Juliet.  Visually, conceptually...it was okay.  But the actors had no clue. No clue.  I almost bailed on Claire danes forever.  
Australia is not even close to a slam dunk for me.
Still, it looks pretty.  It has romance, war and an aboriginal child in peril....so, I hang with it.  For now.

I'm not loving  anything in the fifth slot. And, in my opinion, anything can still happen.  I hear The Wrestler is fantastic.  But, it is a small character driven film, and I think too much build up and expectation could crush this gem.  I'd rather not be part of the hype, and let it live a simple kind of life...with Gwen Stefani.

I'm gonna wing it and say...

REVOLUTIONARY ROAD

Sam Mendes, Kate Winslet, DiCaprio...fingers crossed. 

 I want it to be great.

Really, I do.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you buy the latest To Kill a Mockingbird DVD, special edition, blah blah blah, the special features include interviews with adult Scout + Jem...

Where are you?

Sandy Dunes

Sally Belle said...

I have it!

I think Scout still lives in North Carolina.

Coming back today!