Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Oscar updates


The Soloist has been moved to 2009.  So, a big change in my predictions...Downey Jr. is out!  I really thought it was going 
 to be his year, but I stand by my decision that he isn't getting a nomination for Tropic Thunder.  Golden Globe nom...very likely, but I don't think it will go any farther then that.  You know, I think it's even possible he could get a Globe nom for Ironman.  It's not inconceivable.  But, I don't see any Oscar love this year.  


 I also think it will be wise to remove Josh Brolin for W.  He's great, but the movie isn't.  Too much critical ambiguity, and not long enough legs to go the distance.  Again, I think he will get a Globe nom...but go no further.


My question to myself is, who goes in the vacated spaces?  I'd like to put Brolin in Supporting for Milk, but, I'm not ready to remove Franco.  I'm still not sure they can both exist in the category.  The popular opinion is that Philip Seymour Hoffman will go Supporting for Doubt, and even though I still have...reservations... about the film...Hoffman, I think, is always a good bet.  

To fill in for Brolin's exit in the Best Actor category, I think I will just move Dicaprio up from reserve....for now.  


My charts as of today....
Best Actor 
Leonardo Di Caprio - Revolutionary Road
Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon
Sean Penn - Milk
Brad Pitt - Benjamin Button
Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler

Best Actress 
Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting married
Sally Hawkins - Happy Go Lucky
Angelina Jolie - Changeling
Kristen Scott Thomas - I've Loved You So Long
Kate Winslet - revolutionary Road

Supporting Actress
Tarji P. Henson - Benjamin Button
Samantha Morton - Synecdoche, New York
Rosemary dewitt - Rachel Getting Married
Misty Upham - Frozen River
Evan Rachel Wood - The Wrestler
( Marisa Tomei ) The Wrestler

Supporting Actor
Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Doubt
Liev Schrieber - Defiance
Dev Patel - Slumdog Millionaire
James Franco - Milk

Best Picture
Australia
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button
Milk
Revolutionary Road
Slumdog Millionaire

coming soon....Best Director!





No comments: