Thursday, October 23, 2008

Ron Howard goes retro

I absolutely adore Ron Howard.  He is one of my most favorite people I ever met.  

I was on a set with him for three months.  I watched him closely.  I listened to him intently.  I tried to osmose any and all things I could from the legend that is Ron Howard.

The thing people always want to know about Ron...is this, Is he Richie Cunningham or Opie?
Truthfully...neither.  Ron is incredibly decent...like Richie.  And incredibly curious...like Opie...but, he is his own man, make no mistake.  

He's smart...very smart....I mean very, very smart...though, not necessarily the smartest guy on THIS set.  "First..ask Ron.  If Ron doesn't know, then Tommy Lee will. "  (That's another story.)
Street wise smart.  Savvy.  And intuitive.

Ron is nice and genuinely polite...but he is not naive or sweet in a white bread way.  And he is funny!  He has a rather sardonic sense of humor actually. He's a quick wit.  He's one of those people that you want to hang out with, have a drink with, or have Thanksgiving dinner with.  
I also think he is a talented Director.  I mean, Splash is a great movie.   And Parenthood is one of my all time favorites.  

So, what's been up with him lately?  Why can't he seem to make a good movie anymore? Why don't I think that Frost/Nixon is getting a Best Picture nom? 

 Because, in my opinion, one of the only weaknesses about Ron I could see, is that he is too trusting and loyal to the people around him.  He keeps too many of the same people in the same jobs, and they have way too much job security for their talent level. They screw him over with their good intentions.  He needs to let the whole kit and kaboodle go, and hire people who don't rely on him for their careers!  People who are as smart or smarter then he is.  Someone to tell him the truth.  No director is an island man!  

And tell me, how many scripts does Akiva Goldsman have to murder before someone stops him?  
Just to clarify....I am not talking Brian Grazer...he's the only one that should stick around.  Everyone else....beat it.

But...this isn't really about Frost/Nixon.  I don't think it's getting nominated and I don't think Ron is.  

What this is about is this video.  
What this is about is saying, watch this video. 
And also, thanks Ron...you do rock.  Whatever hair you're wearing.


See more Ron Howard videos at Funny or Die

No comments: