Friday, September 26, 2008

5th Actress


This is my take on Nicole Kidman. She may very well get an Oscar nom for Australia. It certainly looks epic, and I have no doubt that she is great in it. Honestly, this is the woman who brought you Dead Calm, The Others, Dogville, Birth, Margot At The Wedding, even Fur. The movies succeed to varying degrees, but Kidman doesn't let you down for a minute.
 
On the other hand, we also have Stepford Wives, Bewitched and The Invasion.
It just seems to me that Kidman has pulled a Tom Cruise. She's jumped the shark. She's dipping her toe in Jacko land.

I am not sure that I can look at her face...her obviously enhanced lips, and her possibly botoxed forehead...for over two hours and still want to give her an Oscar. Will anyone else?
 I feel bad about Nicole.  I like her.  But, I need to make a choice, and since the debate IS going to happen tonight.....I have to commit already.  

So, I am choosing Kate Winslet as number five...BUT holding Kidman in the reserve spot at number six.  

As it stands BEST ACTRESS predictions
Possible - Kate Winslet - Revolutionary Road
Possible - Kristen Scott Thomas - I've Loved You So Long
Likely - Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married
Likely - Angelina Jolie - The Changeling
Likely - Sally Hawkins - Happy Go Lucky


No comments: