Thursday, September 11, 2008

First Oscar Musings...Toronto

I have not seen The Wrestler yet.  I have friends in high places however, and I will say this...I have not heard a single negative word about Mickey Rourke's performance in the film.  So far, he has been humble in his press and truly seems to have turned his abusive and self-destructive ways around.  If he can continue this, and not fall off the wagon, I believe he is a lock for a Best Actor nomination.
I believe he has been forgiven, or at least forgiven enough, to get the votes needed to secure this.  If Eddie Murphy, who is generally disliked in this town, can get a nom...Mickey can and will.  

LOCK - Rourke - Best Actor - The Wrestler


The other buzz worthy star seems to be Anne Hathaway.  I will admit, I have a hard time picturing her pulling off this role with no seams.  Will I be wishing Emily Blunt had played the part instead?  That remains to be seen...but, for now...I believe she is getting that nomination for Best Actress.

LIKELY - Anne Hathaway - Best Actress- Rachel Getting Married











I'm also continuing to dig Sally Hawkins chances in the Best Actress category....again...sight unseen.  But, she has kept the buzz going from Berlin to Toronto, and it is a Mike Leigh film after all!


LIKELY - Sally Hawkins - Best Actress - Happy Go Lucky




No comments: