Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Fitzgerald, Fincher, Forrest Gump and Best Actor


"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" is one of F. Scott Fitzgerald's most memorable short stories. The protagonist, Benjamin Button, is born an old man and ages in reverse until he becomes a baby and then finally vanishes from the earth.
In a short introduction to the story, Fitzgerald wrote: "This story was inspired by a remark of Mark Twain's to the effect that it was a pity that the best part of life came at the beginning and the worst part at the end."

I'm not sure that I agree with which is the worst part. True, I don't appreciate the aches and pains of growing older. But, taken completely at face value, subtracting the awful and unacceptable fact of life...losing those you love... because...it matters not if you age front ways or backwards...your own survival dooms you to lose those you love. Taking this out of the mix,...I might prefer the aches and pains of my old age to the emptiness and naivete of my young mind. In fact, I am quite sure of it.

And if you were to age backwards, would you lose your experience as well? Would your mind empty, would familiar things become foreign? Would an alzheimers like state be an inevitability?

This is a provocative idea, and I can't wait to see how David Fincher lays it before us in his new film. This isn't Robert Zemekis here. Even though I find Forrest Gump to be a guilty pleasure, let's face it...it's fairly well white-washed, and slick, and in places, really silly. Some comparisons to "Gump" have already been made in expectation of "Benjamin Button". The only comparison I want to make is the Best Picture winner comparison. And I do think "The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button, as presented to us by Fincher, should and will be a Best Picture contender. I'll save that discussion for a later date, however, because I am here to discuss two more Best Actor nominees. Which brings us to...

Brad Pitt.

When Brad is hot, Brad is hot. Brad may be the closest thing to Newmanesque we have. I think he's under appreciated as an actor, though not as a movie star. Thelma And Louise, Kalifornia, Twelve Monkeys, 7even, Snatch, Babel and...hello...Tyler Durden! 
I think the man is overdue a Best Actor nom, and I think if Hanks scored a win for Forrest Gump, Pitt has to be nominated for Benjamin Button. 


Take a look at the trailer here....then, tell me what you think.




Best Actor...

LIKELY - Brad Pitt - The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

Now, here's the real reference to Forrest Gump....
Meet "W"






Seriously...I want to yell "run Forrest, run!" at the end of this trailer.

Anyhoo...you already know my political leanings. So, I will get to the point. I didn't expect much from W the movie. I like Oliver Stone...but, this movie was rushed and the idea seemed forced. After seeing the trailer. This looks like a helluva popcorn movie. I think I will laugh my ass off. The timing is actually great, although I know some people are worried about the backlash of this coming out before the election. I think it looks like the comedy of the year. We will be able to laugh at it now, knowing that the man is on his way OUT!

Back to the point....Josh Brolin.  I hope he's getting nominated. He had a great year last year. He's a solid actor. He's paid his dues. He was in Goonies for God's sake! And, I don't think playing George W is as easy as you might think. This does not look to be a Will Ferrell type W. What I see in this trailer is a real man. A three dimensional portrayal of a one dimensional man. Maybe that's not fair to say about W. But I feel certain it is a fair accessment of Brolin.

Bottom line....

Best Actor pick

POSSIBLE - Josh Brolin - W

Stay tuned for supporting roles, Best Picture and Director

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for Milk and Benjamin Button!

These have to be the front runners for Best Pic.

I am singing with the Beatles....Don't Let Me Down!
So much potential for greatness!