Friday, September 12, 2008

Best Actress

The women, so far this year, are more interesting to me then the men.  Perhaps that is the rule rather then the exception, but it has been a few years since I thought so.  

So many great choices this year, and no sign of having to scrape the sides of the bowl to come up with nominees.  Not just anyone can get consideration however.  Remember, it's doubtful anyone is getting nominated without an Oscar campaign, so without it, forget all the great performances in foreign films, small independent films and films that didn't generate good reviews and/or good box office.  

Also, there are certain rules that seem to be unspoken, but existent when it comes to women and Best Actress Oscars.  Most importantly, play nice.  If your character is not sympathetic...good damn luck.  Even Aileen Wornos as played by Charlize Theron was made sympathetic.  Oh please, she had to kill those men, they were all disgusting rapists and perverts!  In reality, Aileen was a tragic figure because she was truly insane, mentally ill, cuckoo.  But, since she lived in Florida, she was executed by a Bush, as they are want to do.  So...where was I?

Given the play nice rule, and given John Patrick Shanley as the movie's director...I am going to call Meryl Streep out for Doubt.  I am not impressed with the trailer, and I see an Agnes Of God type over wroughtness and wrongheadedness.  Is that a word, by the way...wronghe...never mind.


So, my next call will be for Angie.  I watched the Changeling trailer today, and it looks solid.  She isn't one of my favorite actresses, but I like it that she's not afraid to scare people and go to the edge.  Besides all that, she get's put in a nut house and hosed down!  She gets lot's of chances to freak out, AND she's a sympathetic character.  So, I'm gonna say for the third spot on my list...

LIKELY - Angelina Jolie - Changeling

By the way, have the Jolie-Pitts removed traces of Angie's strange vampira past?  I had to search deep to find a pic of Angie with her Oscar, and once I did...the picture looks....sanitized?  Like her make-up has been toned down from the full on freaky Goth I remembered her wearing that night.  Am I crazy?  


Next up...and number four...is not Kate Winslet.  Oooo, how I hate to say that, and I hope that my mind will be changed once the film arrives.  Revolutionary Road, I'm just not feeling it.  Nobody wants me to be wrong more then me.  Kate is my favorite actress ever and I know she's brilliant in the film without having to see it. I just feel a backlash against it.  I don't know why...just gut? I haven't forgotten about The Reader...just waiting...maybe she'll be the fifth spot after all?


That being said, I am going to go with Kristen Scott Thomas getting the love here.  I know!  I am not all that comfortable jumping on this train either...but, I'm gonna...for now...say...

POSSIBLE - Kristin Scott Thomas - I've Loved You So Long

 Oy, even Kristin is worried about my choice!

So, I have one more spot and then the Best Actress chart begins.

Next up...who will challenge Mickey Rourke for the Best Actor trophy?  Coming soon...





No comments: