Sunday, September 28, 2008

Best Actor


These two guys are locks.  Period.

Now, can you imagine a Best Actress nominee who has behaved in the fashion that these two men have?  They have been surly, drunk, disorderly, loose...man sluts.  One has cheated on, one has beaten a wife.  There are drugs, law suits and mug shots.  Rourke completely smashed his face and rebuilt it into something almost unrecognizable.  
Yet, we will forgive them.  Boys will be boys and all.  An actress, on the other hand, could be ruined by simply dating Rourke.

But, this is about Oscar...and yes....these two are getting nominated.   I just saw the trailer for MILK starring Penn, and I really can't wait to see the film.  Penn smiling?  Penn so wonderfully gay?  Spicolli grew up to be...Harvey Milk!  When was the last time a trailer made you cry? Watch it here...



Rourke's film The Wrestler, is my other most anticipated film.  After the glorious reviews from Venice and Toronto Film Festivals, most touting Rourke's heartbreaking performance, I predict someone will have to carry me out of the theatre in a wheelbarrow.  
Already said this, but one more time....

Lock - Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler
and add
Lock - Sean Penn - Milk

The third actor, I believe,  is not only a lock...but the ultimate winner...Frank Langella. Oh,  I do love Frank Langella!
I know what you're thinking, but, this has nothing to do with the remake of Lolita. Or, the remake of And God Created Woman. I have forgiven him for the former and tried to forget the latter entirely. It has something to do with this....


The best Dracula movie....ever. 


Ask me why...I'll be happy to explain my reasons.



But, my love and respect for Langella has, most of all, to do with this.

Yes, that is Blythe Danner.  Danner and Langella were two members of the Williamstown Theatre Company which also included Chris Walken, Diane Weist, Richard Jenkins, Austin Pendleton, Kate Burton, Lindsay Crouse, 
Laila Robbins, 
Edward Hermann and I could go on and on.  The picture is from Chekov's The Seagull.  Langella also starred as Cyrano de Bergerac around this time, and has worked consistently on Broadway and off for 4 decades.  He won a Tony award already for his role in Frost/Nixon.  I believe he will deserve and be given the Oscar for playing the role he originated...Richard Milhous Nixon.

Big time Lock - Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon



4 comments:

Sandy Dunes said...

Hey Sally Belle,

Great looking blog!

Got Milk? Got Hope? The timing of this movie couldn't be better. And Sean Penn, I'm there.

Keep up the good work!
Sandy Dunes

Sandy Dunes said...

P.S. Are you going to tell us why?

Anonymous said...

Oh...hello...what about Masters Of The Universe?
His best movie ever?!

Your friend, the fool said...

To answer your (rhetorical) question, it was the trailer for Ikiru.