Saturday, March 21, 2009

Friday Night Netflix


















Tonight I watched Rachel Getting Married again, because my husband hadn't seen it. If you haven't seen it yet....don't wait another minute. This is filmmaking at it's best. My husband was blown away, and it only got better the second time for me. How this film avoided multiple Oscar nominations is beyond me.  Kate, you are great...but, my vote would have gone to Hathaway.  I would be a seriously good Academy member...because, I don't even like her, yet I would have voted for her. She gave the best performance.  Nailed it, she did.  

3 comments:

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

I think Bill Irwin was robbed of the Oscar, well and obviously the nomination for starters.

Sally Belle said...

Bill Irwin couldn't have been better!
He and Dewitt both should have been nominated. It is a mystery to me how they came away so empty handed.

Janice said...

I finally watched it last night with my sweetie...and had to watch it again this morning. Yes, it does improve on repeat. I've gone overnight from being neutral or cold on Anne Hathaway to being a fan. And WHERE the heck were the Oscar nods for Bill and Rosemarie? Do the voting members of AMPAS not actually watch the movies? Is it a popularity contest? I watched it this morning with Rosemarie DeWitt's commentary on, which by itself would have been a bit disappointing, as she doesn't say much, but the other commentary track weirdly enough showed up in the subtitles, so it was like the film itself - a weird rich stew of too much info here, not enough there, having to watch certain scenes three times to hear and read and catch it all. And rather than detracting from the experience, it only added to it. this is a film that you just let unwind and spool out over you.

American filmmakers are generally not much good with open-ended films, but Demme is obviously an exception. (I wonder if the open ending is original to Jenny Lumet's script or was Demme's choice. Another thing that makes the film more interesting rather than less is the awareness of the collaborations that went into it, not unlike a microcosm of a family.)