Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Sally Cristina Barcelona?


Today from Netflix, I finally received Vicky Cristina Barcelona.  The film had such a long wait, and as I was unwilling to buy, and wasn't able to get my hands on a screener...I have yet to watch this movie.  Even though I pulled for Penelope, and was happy when she won an Oscar for her role in the film.  

I'm bringing this up, because the timing...is interesting.  I also had the "pleasure" this morning, while listening to my favorite progressive radio station, to hear a clip from the Rush Limbaugh show. 

 In the clip, Rush was pontificating on the women's equality movement and what it meant to him.  Apparently, according to Rush, the women's movement was all about unattractive women finding a way to gain power in our society. Those bad unattractive, lesbian types!  How dare they fuck up our fabulous patriarchal society! 

 The thing is...I've been thinking a lot about my place in this society.  As an attractive straight woman, I wonder who fucked up and gave me the brain of a man?  Couldn't I watch Vicky Cristina Barcelona and decide, I too, wanted to have sex with Scarlett Johansson?  Maybe that would explain all these years of wanting to play baseball.  Of loving Die hard and The Godfather...and, if you can believe Judd Apatow...Back To The Future? Why do I cuss like a sailor, and hate to get dressed up for events and weddings?  Come to think of it...why do I hate weddings too?  Was I a lesbian that was only attracted to men?  Who's responsible for this screw up?  I can drive, I can parallel park even.  I can read a map, throw a football, operate a power saw, do math, drink beer and I like to have a good cigar when I play poker.  What the hell is wrong with me?  Did I mention I also have an urge to shave my head?  Hair is such a pain in the ass.

Is this the fault of those radical women who started this equality shit back during the Revolutionary war?  Would I have been happier shuffling around the kitchen, not a thought in my head about having access to everything that men did?  Especially Scarlett Johansson?  

I'm not sure what the point I am trying to make is...except that I am damn tired of walking past Victoria's Secret and seeing it full of women buying uncomfortable underwear to impress some man.  I am tired of Bratz dolls, and seeing young girls walking through the mall half-naked. I'd like to put Dita Von Teese in a barrel and roll her over Niagra falls. I am tired of the pressure that women are under to be "feminine."  I am feminine!  Why can't we, as a society, except that there are straight women who don't like to wear dresses, and there are straight men who do? 
 





This moment...was not about a woman taking off her shirt, you know?  










Look,   I had my place in the sun.  I'm just sorry I wasted so much of it trying to be pretty, instead of using my "man brain" to take care of myself and not feel guilty about it.  I just hope, that one day, my daughters will feel so fucking worthwhile, that they won't need a man to let them have it all.  They'll simply want a man...or a woman...to be their partner in life.  Not their savior.  And they won't relinquish their dreams to anyone who is willing to let them.  There are too many good people out there, why waste time with the ninnys?  I'm just saying.

Please can we have more women screenwriters and filmmakers?  Please, can we have more movies starring women that don't revolve around shopping, weddings, gossip, and three ways?

  So, on to Vicky, and Cristina and Maria Elena.  If nothing else...I'm sure I'm gonna love Barcelona.


4 comments:

Hilarywho said...

I'm not sure what your point is either, but you make a damn good one!

The thing is that we don't all fall into neat little categories and sterotypes. For example, I'm an attractive lesbian who is completly disinterested in sports, loves to get dressed up for events, hates beer and action movies, enjoys doing laundry, organizing closets, decorating, and gardening.

I'll be curious to hear what you think of Vicky Christina - I liked it a lot, but then a big Woody Allen fan.

Sally Belle said...

Hey, Hilary...I need a slap down! I didn't intend that post to sound like I was stereotyping Lesbian women too!

It was not my intention to say that, because I had a man brain, I should be a Lesbian, only that I would be more acceptable to society as a Lesbian. Because I would fit a stereotype. I was reaching for an ironic tone.

As you pointed out, it is all bullshit. No one falls easily into categorization...especially not women....although, I can't really see my brother drooling over a Carl's Jr. burger either.

But, in searching for my seat at the table...I often wondered why I wasn't set a place with the other team.

:)

Janice said...

//But, in searching for my seat at the table...I often wondered why I wasn't set a place with the other team.//

Because society says "feminine" is one thing and one thing only, and if you don't fit the neat little easy-to-control and catagorize box...? I think that was your point, SB - and btw, as a "feminine" lesbian myself I wans't offended by your post (I shouldn't speak for Hilary but I doubt she was offended either, simply echoing your point that our identities are far more fluid than society -and certain simple-minded types - like to admit or allow for. In my case, I like to dress up but don't like makeup, let my sweetie handle the power tools but love to split wood in the backyard and fire up the grill. Go figure, right? When we embrace our so-called contradictions we begin to realize they aren't such contradictions after all.

Anonymous said...

Continuing evidence that each individual is unique in the correct sense of the word. Society must obscure that reality for its' own existence.
Each individual is free to create their own identity and does. Doing so apart from social constraints is just so gooddamn difficult. It is easier to surrender freedom and blame others.

Worthwhile discussion. I will stay tuned.