Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday Night Netflix...Pineapple express



















My advice? Get stoned before you watch this movie, I mean like, really wasted, because....it's really not that funny.  This is the movie two 17 year old boys would make if they had 20 million to spend. Or maybe...this is the film Quentin Tarantino would have made when he was 12 if he'd had 20 million to blow. Or, the Coen Brothers might have made this when they were 10 if...well, you know. 
Everything about this film, starting with the script,  just...didn't rise to the occasion somehow.  I expected a lot more from David Gordon-Green, a director I think is a real talent.  I really have liked all of his other films.  This one, well, it looked like it was a lot of fun to make.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched it straight and enjoyed it for what it was--a stoner farce. Much better than Dude Where's My Car? The Danny McBride character was over-the-top hilarious.

Anonymous said...

Going to have to disagree on this one. I thought it was really funny, thoroughly enjoyed it, all while completely sober. And yes, Danny McBride is one of the funniest people on the planet. I could watch him all day. I am a big fan of the notion that the environment that you watch a movie in can make it or break it. Maybe the communal theater experience helped, because people were laughing their heads of in the theater. Then when I watched the Blu-Ray, I already had the familiarity with it, so it was still really funny to me then. I think this film is the finest moment for Seth Rogan and James Franco so far.

Anonymous said...

I meant to say, laughing their heads off. I know the difference between of and off.

Sally Belle said...

Hmmm...the only part I love is Danny McBride. He is brilliant.

I get what they were going for...and I really didn't hate it...I just felt it missed the mark for me...some parts seemed too contrived, while others seemed too improvisational...dunno. You know, my early years were a stoner movie...maybe that's why I'm so hard to impress.

I also liked the policewoman that wasn't Rosie Perez.

Anonymous said...

I agree...seems like it was all slapped together at the last minute though in its defense, the movie was much better than say, ANCHORMAN, which was put together in the same haphazard manner but featured much less enjoyable characters and antics. McBride was pretty funny in this one and everyone else seemed to be having a great time which helped teh cause. Keep up the great work, you're one of the few that has good taste and tells it like it is.