Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Scenes I Love...Hook

When Dustin Hoffman is good...he is so very, very good.  And, when he is bad....yes, he is naughty.  Very, very good Hoffman includes The Graduate, Marathon Man, Midnight Cowboy, Little Big Man,  Tootsie and Hook.  No, I didn't really like Rainman, although it is very fun to quote, and I know this will shock you, but Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, was very naughty of Hoffman.  

Bob Hoskins...always very, very good.  Can't think of anything bad.  Trying...nope, nothing.  Hoskins was very hot for awhile.  He first came to my attention in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.  Everyone fell in love with Hoskins, after Roger.  Hoskins played a gruff, all-American, cigar smoking, root-beer drinking gumshoe with a heart of gold.   I ran to check out Hoskins in another film, Mona Lisa, an amazing indie film directed by Neil Jordan pre-Crying Game.  I was shocked to learn Hoskins was British.  

Hook is called Hook for a reason.  Yes, Robin Williams is the actual star as a grown Peter Pan returning to Neverland.  But, what is this film without Captain Hook? And what is Captain Hook without Smee?  Indeed, without these two, this film would have sunk like a cannon ball into the Mermaid lagoon.

 My children can quote this scene word for word.  I just love it, and I love Hoffman's subtle comedy...yes, I think it's subtle!  If Johnny Depp was Oscar nom'ed for Pirates Of The Caribbean, Hoffman should have won for this.  "Don't try to stop me Smee".




No comments: