Sunday, March 15, 2009

Return Of The Musical?




















I'm not talking about that God awful musical number at this years Oscars.  You remember...the one with Beyonce?  No, I am talking about the for reals, genuine return of the musical.  

Two years ago, we had Hairspray, Dreamgirls, Across the Universe and Once all in the same season.  Last year we saw Mamma Mia, a very poorly directed and questionably acted film, beat Titanic's box office record in the UK.  Oh yeah, and there's that High School Musical thing.  This year, we're anticipating the release of Nine sometime during Oscar season.  Color me skeptical on that one.  Daniel Day-Lewis, Penelope Cruz, Kate Hudson, Sophia Loren?  All singing?   I dunno.  Rob Marshall directs...also, a little scary.

Jake Gyllenhaal and Jim Carey are set to star in a Damn Yankees remake.  I think these guys will be good...but, who are they gonna get to play Lola?  Those are some damn big dancing shoes to fill.  They better do it right. 

 There's also a rumor that Keira Knightley will be singing in a remake of My Fair Lady sometime in the near future. Um, okay...I've heard Knightley sing. Maybe Marni Nixon is still around?  You know, Nixon famously dubbed the singing voices of Audrey Hepburn, Natalie Wood and Deborah Kerr.  Now, everyone name the films!  




















Also, we have pre-production on Wicked.  Exciting! Wicked was a huge Broadway success, that takes on the story of Glinda, the good witch and Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West.  A prequel to The Wizard Of Oz, this has some killer songs and fantastic roles for two women who can sing, baby!  Thinking about Wicked, actually, is what prompted me to write this post.  Nathanial, over at Film Experience...look under linkage...was addressing the question of casting for the new film version of Wicked!  The cool thing is...there are a few young film actresses who could actually cut the mustard. Anne Hathaway, for example,  has proven that she has Broadway pipes.  Although, I find her, rather blandish, she certainly has the star power and the ability to take on either role.  

Now, if we head to the east coast, we see workshops and new Broadway musicals being born out of Hollywood.  This is not new.  We've seen our share of movie based disasters here...Young Frankenstein, Tarzan, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels...and winners...The Producers, The Lion King, Billy Elliot.

















Now,  I just read where Kristen Bell is workshopping a new Heathers musical, and as we already know, Evan Rachel Wood is set to topline Julie Taymor's new Spiderman musical.  I haven't any idea how they'll pull of a Heathers musical, but, if they do...how awesome will that be?  Kristen Bell is a great choice too.  She is a NYU, Tisch School of the Arts graduate.  The real thing.  And as far as Spiderman goes, wow.  It will be like going to a musical circus.  I also think Wood is perfect for Mary Jane, with her girl next door looks, and rebellious edge.  Plus, once again, girlfriend can sing.  Actually, now that I think about it...the perfect cast for Wicked is right there.  Kristen Bell and Evan Rachel Wood.   Settled.

I'll just leave you with this. The funniest woman working, Kristin Chenowith as Glinda, and Idina Menzel as Elphaba in the Broadway production of Wicked.

2 comments:

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

"My Fair Lady"
"West Side Story" and "The King and I"!
Hehehehe.
I just adore musicals, it's a shame people don't swallow them like they did in the golden era. To me it's still surprising that "The Sound of Music" is in the Top 10 biggest grossing films of all time.

Sally Belle said...

I saw The Sound Of Music when it came out. My mother had to make reservations at the theatre to get us in! There was such a demand for the film it was the only way to handle the crowds.